Chances are, your business goals this year center around increasing sales and generating more revenue. In order to accomplish these objectives, you’ll need to be able to reach more potential customers efficiently and cost-effectively. Through digital marketing, businesses of all sizes have the ability to reach their target audience, often at just the right moment when they are ready to make a purchase decision.
Whether you’re brand new to digital marketing or simply want to tighten up your existing strategy, there are a few best practices you should keep in mind this year:
Practice #1 | Create Highly-Targeted Content
When you’re planning your business’s digital marketing strategy, it can be tempting to focus on reaching as many people as possible. However, going after an incredibly broad audience can result in generic content that tends to fall flat. If you want to drive results through your digital marketing, it’s crucial that you create highly-targeted content that resonates with the audience (or audiences) that matter most to your business. Here are a few simple ways to target and tailor your content for better results:
- Send Tailored Email Messages. One great way to start conversations with your customers is through email marketing. With email, you can reconnect with customers who have already shown interest in your business. Most email marketing platforms make it easy to segment your audience, allowing you to tailor your messaging even further. For example, you might send an email with information about special offers to customers who haven’t purchased from you in the last few months.
- Refine Your Ad Creative. If you’re promoting your business through digital ad campaigns, there are many ways to create content that perfectly-suits your target audience. Everything from your ad copy and imagery to your landing page experience should be designed for the specific audience you are targeting. If you have multiple audiences in mind, try to target each audience with their own unique ad experience rather than one general campaign.
- Put Customer Needs First. Whether you’re mapping out a complicated advertising strategy or simply updating the copy on your website, adopting a customer-first mindset will help you craft content that drives better results for your business. Make sure your content speaks to their needs, addresses their concerns, and answers their questions, and they will be much more likely to take action.
Practice #2 | Tap Into The Power Of Voice Search
The introduction of virtual assistants (such as Siri, Alexa, and the Google Assistant) has reshaped the way many people interact with their devices and, in turn, the way they interact with businesses. Optimizing your site to make it voice search-friendly will help you stay on top of this growing trend and drive more traffic to your site.
- Page Speed Matters. There are many ways in which a slow website can hold your business back. One of the main reasons so many users turn to voice search is because it enables them to find answers quickly and conveniently. In order to capitalize on the popularity of voice search, your site needs to be able to keep up. To make sure you are up to speed, you can use Google’s free PageSpeed Insights tool for analysis and optimization tips.
- Focus On Questions. As voice-activated speakers and virtual assistants have become increasingly commonplace, many users are asking questions rather than simply using keywords. To help your content shine in voice search results, write copy that answers common customer questions and uses long-tail keyword phrases in a conversational way.
- Keep Things Concise. While it’s important to utilize long-tail keyword phrases and answer user questions through your content, you also want to keep things concise. Your goal should be to provide users with fast answers to their questions, so you’ll want to steer clear of using long-winded or unclear copy.
Practice #3 | Don't Ignore The Millennial Market
If you’re not reaching out to Millennial audiences through your digital marketing, you’re missing out on a valuable demographic. While the term isn’t always used consistently, the Pew Research Center defines the Millennial generation as those born between 1981 and 1996. This audience is typically well-educated and tech-savvy but can be tough to reach through traditional marketing methods. Here are a few ways to build a better relationship with your Millennial customers:
- Connect Through Inbound Marketing. Millennials grew up in a world where technology has played a consistent role in their everyday lives. Compared to previous generations, they are typically more comfortable navigating the digital space. Many Millennials will spend a great deal of time researching products and comparing prices before committing to a purchase. Make sure your business has a comprehensive inbound marketing strategy so you aren’t overlooked.
- Use High-Quality Video Content. With any target audience, well-crafted video content can help you stand out from your competition. However, video content can be especially appealing to a Millennial audience. Through video, you can showcase what makes your products or services unique, and connect with your audience on a more meaningful level.
- Segment for More Authentic Messaging. Millennials have high standards when it comes to the content they consume online. They tend to seek out innovative and highly-creative content and typically have little interest in more traditional marketing techniques and messaging. Try segmenting your Millennial audience into smaller groups based on their interests and behaviors in order to craft more authentic and relevant messaging that appeals to them on an individual level.
Practice #4 | Audit, Update, and Optimize Your Website On A Regular Basis
One important detail to remember about digital marketing is that nothing is ever truly “done.” Even after your website has gone live, and your ad campaigns have been launched, there is always work to be done. While promoting your business through digital marketing can be time-consuming, the results can make it well worth your efforts. To ensure a better outcome for your business, create a plan that allows you to:
- Monitor Your Performance. One of the major advantages of digital marketing is that it is surprisingly easy to measure the outcome of each of your marketing efforts. Free tools such as Google Analytics can help you develop a deeper understanding of how people are using your website. Social media platforms also provide businesses with valuable insights about their audience and how their content is performing. If you’re running digital ad campaigns, make sure you are monitoring their performance within each platform on an ongoing basis.
- Be Willing to Experiment. If you want to stay ahead of your competition, experimenting with creative new techniques can help you stand out. Taking calculated risks, such as A/B testing a new landing page design or launching a new video ad campaign, can help you discover different ways to connect with customers and gain valuable insight about your audience.
- Refresh and Optimize. The digital space is always changing, so what works for your business today may not have the same impact tomorrow. Make sure you and your team have time to research the latest trends and developments, and routinely update and optimize your content and strategy.
While digital marketing can be a major undertaking, creating a comprehensive strategy can help you connect with the people who matter most to your business. The right strategy can put you on track to meet your goals and grow your business cost-effectively.
To learn more about how the right digital marketing strategy can help your business have its best year yet, contact our team for a free Digital Marketing Blueprint. Your custom Blueprint will include an analysis of your current digital presence along with suggestions to help you take things to the next level this year.