Digital advertising makes it possible for businesses to reach new customers or reconnect with existing customers, and can be surprisingly cost-effective. As digital ads have become more widely used, and the targeting methods have become more sophisticated, businesses of all sizes can benefit from digital campaigns.
If you’re thinking about launching a digital ad campaign, here are 3 tips to help you get started:
Tip #1 | Focus On Your Goals
Regardless of the platform being used, all effective advertising campaigns have one thing in common: they are based on well-defined goals. Having a clear understanding of your goals will make the process of choosing a platform, selecting your audience, and developing your ad creative much simpler. Setting goals will also make it easier for you to measure the success of your efforts and make adjustments to your strategy along the way.
Tip #2 | Know Your Options
There are many ways to promote your business online with a variety of advertising platforms to choose from. Each platform comes with its own assortment of options. To choose the platform and strategy that’s right for your business and goals, it helps to understand the basics.
Pay Per Click/Search Advertising. Through search engine optimization (SEO), you can improve your website’s rank in search engine results. However, improving your SEO typically requires a great deal of time and effort. Pay-per-click advertising generally produces results more quickly than SEO because it provides you with the ability to bid on specific keywords and only pay when someone clicks on your ad. Advertisers are able to market more precisely to customers who are likely to buy, and they can control their budget by setting bids based on how much a click is worth to them.
- When To Use It: If you offer a product or service that customers are likely to search for online, pay-per-click advertising can be a very cost-effective way to drive quality traffic to your website.
- What To Keep In Mind: While typically “faster” than SEO, running effective PPC campaigns isn’t an effortless process. To get the best return on your advertising investment, you should be regularly reviewing your campaign performance and making adjustments to your ads, bids, and other campaign elements.
- Success Tip: Use the Keyword Planner tool in Google AdWords to find high-quality keywords. The tool provides valuable insight for how often people search for specific keywords, whether other advertisers are bidding on those keywords, or how much you might pay for a click.
Display Advertising. For businesses that want to reach a broader audience or reconnect with people who have visited their website, display advertising can be incredibly effective. With display advertising, your ads can appear on a wide variety of third-party websites, and you are able to choose from a selection of targeting options. To reach potential new customers, you might want to place ads on specific sites about a topic related to your industry, or you can target individuals based on their behaviors and interests.
- When To Use It: Because you are able to advertise to a broader audience, display ads are a great option if you want to increase brand awareness or drive traffic to your site. If you have a longer sales cycle, remarketing ads can help you stay in front of prospects until they are ready to buy.
- What To Keep In Mind: In order to advertise to previous website visitors using remarketing, you’ll need to add a snippet of code to your website (or have your developer do it for you).
- Success Tip: The more eye-catching your ad is, the more likely it is that your target audience will click through to your site. If possible, invest in professionally-designed ads with strong calls-to-action.
Social Media Advertising. Through social media, advertisers have the potential to connect with their ideal customer by leveraging the powerful audience-targeting capabilities that are available. With highly-creative and engaging ad formats available on social media, advertisers can easily showcase products or demonstrate services to their target audiences.
- When To Use It: Social media advertising allows you to target a very precise audience, making it a great option for advertisers who want to find new customers online.
- What To Keep In Mind: Generally speaking, social media targeting is “people-based” rather than topic or keyword based. Make sure you have a defined target audience before launching your ad campaign.
- Success Tip: If you’re using social media to drive prospective customers to your site, make sure your landing page content is organized and your site is optimized for conversions.
Tip #3 | Be Realistic About Your Resources
Your advertising campaigns aren’t “done” once they’ve been launched. In fact, it’s often after your ads have gone live that the real work begins. You should regularly monitor your campaigns to make sure they are performing well, and make adjustments based on what you see in order to get the best return on your investment. Before you invest in a digital advertising campaign on any platform you should take stock of what resources are available to you in terms of:
- Design Capabilities. Display and social media ads need to stand out in order to be effective. Are you able to create high-quality ads that meet the design requirements for the platform, or are you willing to hire a graphic designer to create them for you?.
- Budget. You’ll need to know how much you are willing and able to invest in your ad campaigns. It’s possible your ads will need to run for a few weeks or months before you can determine how effective they are.
- Time. Creating, launching, and maintaining effective campaigns takes time. Make sure you are setting aside time to review your campaign performance, analyze results, and make adjustments as needed.
Need help with your digital advertising strategy? Contact our team today for your free Digital Marketing Blueprint.