Advertising on Google AdWords can be an incredibly cost-effective way to reach potential customers who are actively looking for your products or services online. However, it takes time and effort to refine your campaigns and achieve the best possible performance.
While there are many ways to optimize your campaigns, here are three tips for increasing your ROI:
Tip #1 | Know (and Properly Target) Your Audience
In order to reach your target audience, you should first define who exactly you are trying to reach. People turn to search engines like Google to find solutions and answers, so understanding your customers’ problems and motivations can help you connect with them and drive action. Here are a few things to consider as you identify your audience:
- What Problem Are They Trying to Solve? Your potential customers have a problem, and you have the solution. Understanding their problem and what motivates them will help you create ad and landing page copy that encourages them to take action.
- What Devices Do They Use? Are your customers searching from their mobile devices on the go, or are they searching from a desktop computer at work? Your website should be mobile-friendly no matter what, but knowing your audience’s search habits can help you tailor your bidding strategy and prioritize certain searches.
Tip | After you’ve launched your campaigns, keep an eye on which devices have the highest conversion rate, then set higher bids for those devices. You can also set lower bids for devices with low conversion rates or remove them altogether.
- Where Are They in Their Buying Journey? In some cases, you may want to reach potential customers before they are actually ready to buy. Doing so will allow you to build a relationship with that prospect and nurture that relationship until they are ready to become a customer. Outlining every step of a typical buyer’s journey will help you create an ad strategy tailored to each of those steps.
Tip #2 | A/B Test Your Creative
You may know your audience well, but it can still take a little bit of experimentation to find the perfect creative for your ads and landing pages. Perfecting your creative will help you get more people to your website and drive more conversions. Generally, there are two pieces of creative that will impact performance:
- Ad Creative. Your ad copy will determine what percentage of people see your ad and click on it to visit your website (referred to as your click-through-rate). Test out a few different versions of ad creative to see which ones resonate with your target audience. Use the information you gathered while researching your audience to write ad copy that appeals to them.
- Landing Pages. Getting people to click on your ads is only the first step. Once you get them to your site, you need to get them to take action. The quality of your landing page will impact your conversion rate, which is why it’s important to test your creative. You can (and should) test a variety of individual page elements, including the language and placement of your calls-to-action.
As you test your creative, you’ll want to make sure your ad copy aligns with the copy on your landing pages. Doing so will provide a better experience for users, but also have a positive impact on your quality score.
Tip #3 | Use Remarketing Ads
In a perfect world, every potential customer who lands on your website will make a purchase. Unfortunately, that’s not a realistic outcome. If someone leaves your site without taking action, however, you still have the chance to win them back. Using remarketing display ads, you can remind previous website visitors that they were once interested in your products or services, and encourage them to come back and make a purchase.
Your remarketing ad creative should remind visitors why they sought you out to begin with. Refer back to the information you discovered as you mapped out the typical buyer journey for your customers, and let that guide your creative.
Your AdWords campaign strategy will vary depending on your industry, location, and goals. To get the best possible result from your efforts, make sure you are taking the time to create a highly-focused strategy that is based on your goals and tailored to your target audience. If you need help getting the results you need from your digital advertising campaigns, contact our team for a free Digital Marketing Blueprint.