Getting a lot of traffic to your site is good, but getting that traffic to convert is even better. Once a potential customer arrives on your site, you want them to take action. If you want to turn more visitors into customers, strong calls-to-action are a crucial part of your website’s design. When used correctly, calls-to-action can help you convert more visits into sales.
What is a CTA?
A call to action, or CTA, is a specific phrase that encourages your website visitors to take action. Often, a CTA will appear as a button or link on your website that directs visitors to complete a contact form, sign up for a newsletter, or download an eBook. The wording used in your CTAs will vary depending on what specific action you want users to take next.
How Are Calls-To-Action Good For Business?
By guiding your website visitors toward the next step in the buying process, calls-to-action can help you convert more visitors into leads. Generally speaking, visitors arrive on your site looking for answers. They want to know more about your products and services, and then learn more about how to get started. By using calls-to-action strategically, you can help users navigate your site and persuade more of them to take action.
How Do You Craft the Perfect CTA?
While the actual text in your call-to-action is typically simple, creating the most effective CTA can be surprisingly difficult. Every aspect of your CTA, including wording, design, and location on the page, can impact how effective it is. Here are a few things to keep in mind when creating your calls-to-action:
- Focus on Your Goals. The overall design of your site should be based on your goals, and your CTAs should match those goals. Think about what you want your audience to do once they’ve arrived on your site, and make sure their path to conversion is as clear as possible.
- Create A Sense of Urgency. If you’re promoting a time-sensitive offer, make sure your CTA conveys a sense of urgency. Include deadlines or words like “now” and “today” to compel your visitors to convert.
- Keep it Short and Sweet. You don’t need a ton of copy to capture your audience’s attention and drive action. Many people skim website content rather than reading everything in full, so a short and simple CTA makes it easier for visitors to see what the next step is.
- Use “Action” Words. The purpose of a CTA is to drive action, so you should use action-oriented words whenever possible. Phrases such as “Register Today” or “Download Now” are more likely to encourage action.
- Make It Eye-Catching. A CTA serves as the vital link that converts visitors into leads, so make sure yours doesn’t fade into the background. While it should still look like a cohesive component of your site, your CTA should stand out from the rest of your content. Try using a contrasting color for your CTA button and bold, easy-to-read copy.
- Location Matters. If one CTA is great, then using several is even better, right? In reality, one well-written, strategically-placed CTA is far more effective than scattering multiple buttons on a page. Your CTA should be located in a spot that is easy to find but also makes sense. For example, you may want to drop in your CTA following a paragraph that describes the benefits of signing up for your newsletter, rather than pushing the CTA right away. Let your copy make the case, and your CTA close the deal.
- Be Honest. While it’s important to use language that drives action, you also want to make sure you aren’t being deceptive. Your visitors should know exactly what to expect when they click on your CTA.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment. One of the best things about calls-to-action is they are simple to develop and provide opportunities for experimentation. Try testing out a few different calls-to-action and see which one works best. A great way to test your CTAs is with custom landing pages. If you’re running an ad campaign, try making a few versions of the same landing page that use different CTAs and do an A/B test to see which CTA is most effective.
If your website doesn’t include compelling, strategically-placed calls-to-action, you’re missing out on valuable leads. Not getting the results you need from your website? We can help! We’ll provide you with a free Digital Marketing Blueprint that outlines what you should do to get results from your online marketing.